Subscribe to our newsletter for FREE pet updates
Thank you! Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again.

Just a Tiny Amount of This Poison Can Kill — And It’s Found in Many Homes

It's toxic for a 50-pound dog, and can easily be deadly for a 10-pound one, yet it's found in many homes. Signs of poisoning start in just 15 to 60 minutes, and time is of the essence if you want to save your dog's (or cat's) life. What to know about this growing problem.

e-cigarettes toxic to pets

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

  • As e-cigarettes continue to grow in popularity with people trying to quit smoking, the incidence of nicotine poisonings among pets has also increased
  • The liquid nicotine in e-cigarettes, cartridges and vials is much more potent than the nicotine regular cigarettes, and flavored nicotine gives off an aroma that can be attractive to pets
  • Liquid nicotine can also bypass the liver and be absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the skin and mucous membranes of your pet’s mouth
  • Signs of nicotine poisoning occur quickly after ingestion, and usually start with vomiting. The more nicotine ingested, the more severe and potentially life-threatening the symptoms
  • If you know or suspect your dog or cat has ingested nicotine, there’s no time to waste. Get your pet to your veterinarian or the closest emergency animal hospital immediately

Most Recent