Subscribe to our newsletter for FREE pet updates
Thank you! Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again.

It Sickens or Kills Over 10 Dogs a Day, yet Many Owners Are Clueless

This highly toxic ingredient is popping up in an ever-growing list of everyday products, including some health store favorites. It's perfectly safe for you, but if your pet consumes just a tiny bit, it can lead to pancreas and liver failure. Check this list today.

xylitol poisoning dogs

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

  • A Portland, Oregon veterinarian is helping to bring much-needed awareness to the extreme danger of xylitol poisoning in dogs
  • Xylitol is a natural sweetener that is popping up in an ever-growing list of consumer products, including some peanut and other nut butters
  • From 2007 to 2013, there was an over 200% increase in reported cases of xylitol toxicity, which means over 10 dogs are being sickened or killed by xylitol every day
  • It can be difficult to determine if a consumer product contains xylitol
  • If you know or suspect your dog has ingested xylitol, get your pet to a veterinary clinic immediately and/or call a pet poison control hotline without delay

Most Recent