- Dog and cat treats are a large and fast-growing segment of the ultraprocessed pet food market; the pet food industry considers treats “the gift that keeps on giving”
- Well-meaning pet parents are increasing the number of treats they feed, perhaps without understanding their caloric impact or nutritional value
- Despite the growing popularity of dog and cat treats, it’s important to remember that treats should represent no more than 10% of your pet’s daily calorie intake
- Good guidelines to follow when selecting pet treats include ensuring all the ingredients are high-quality and sourced exclusively in the U.S.
- If your goal with treats is to bond with your pet while simultaneously supporting his or her health, you should definitely consider offering nutritious human foods in place of ultraprocessed, packaged treats