Subscribe to our newsletter for FREE pet updates
Thank you! Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again.

Avoid Tragedy: Check Your Yard for These Potentially Fatal Growths

They may frequent your yard and are one of the leading causes of pet poisoning every year, yet it's nearly impossible to tell deadly varieties from innocent ones. If ingested, emergency care is essential to save your pet's life. Just be sure you bring this to the vet with you.

mushroom poisoning

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

  • Mushroom poisoning in pets presents a special problem for guardians and veterinarians because it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference between toxic and nontoxic varieties
  • Symptoms of mushroom toxicity are dependent on the species of mushroom, the specific toxin(s) involved, and the individual pet’s susceptibility to those toxins
  • Treatment of mushroom poisoning is focused on decontamination and managing clinical symptoms as they arise. It is often difficult to predict the outcome of treatment unless the mushroom can be accurately identified
  • If you know or suspect your pet has ingested a mushroom, seek help immediately, and if possible, collect any uneaten mushrooms and/or vomit and feces samples to take with you to the vet or emergency animal hospital

Most Recent